Literary Festival hopes to bring authors, excitement to SMU

Starting Thursday, SMU’s creative writing department will host the revived Literary Festival.

The festival spans the course of three days and features a spread of authors that will be on hand to perform readings of their latest books, as well as provide insight on the world of professional writing.

The event, which will take place in specified rooms at SMU’s DeGolyer Library, was assembled partly by senior Sarah Bennett.

“I love working as a student that organizes the Literary Festival,” Bennett said. “It really is an event for the benefit of students.”

Although the event may seem to be directed towards writing majors exclusively, the event’s faculty advisor, David Haynes, begs to differ.

“Literary Festival is an opportunity for everyone on campus to come and hear some of the best poets and fiction writer working today,” Haynes said. “These dynamic writers know how to engage with audiences and have important things to say. These will be really entertaining events.”

With readings planned from authors that range from Rosalyn Story to Cynthia Phoel, the Literary Festival is certain to be both intellectually stimulating and equally engaging.

“Each writer and poet is different, so you never know when you will have a really strong response,” Bennett said. “You find their story or poem to be really interesting or entertaining for you.”

After being revived on campus from a hiatus two years ago, the people involved with the Literary Festival hope that the event will continue to prosper on campus.

“Each year we try to get more and more students interested in the event,” Bennett said. “Each time that we can expand local knowledge of the events and campus attendance will only help the event be more enjoyable.”

While the event may only last three days, Bennett and Haynes said that the Literary Festival required months of planning in advance.

“Planning for the festival begins early in the fall semester,” Bennett said. “First with selecting a date, and then with securing which authors will participate.

From there, we start getting students involve in various ways, whether that means preparing the programs or organizing gift baskets for the authors.”

The Literary Festival will also offer its patrons to enter numerous drawings that will reward the winner with signed copies of the books being read.

The reception for the Literary Festival will take place this Thursday and will be held in the Texana Room at the DeGolyer Library.

For a full schedule of the readings visit smuliteraryfest2011.wordpress.com.