I love the Internet

I love my computer. It comes in handy at so many points in my day: when I’m lost, when I forgot to write an article for this week’s paper, or when I need to check the latest gossip on Facebook.

I don’t really surf the Internet too much. Granted, there’s a lot to do on it, but I stick to Facebook, Yahoo Mail, SMU Mail, Blackboard and Twitter.

So when my friend introduced me to something called StumbleUpon, I become fascinated. The application, for all you Safari users who haven’t caught up to the brilliance of Firefox, is a random Web site generator that sends you to, you guessed it, a random Web site.

I was skeptical of the idea at first.

“Wait a minute, Donny. You mean this thing actually sends me to a Web site that I’ve never been to before?”

“Yep,” he replied while eating a bagel.

“I don’t know man…”

“Well, I mean you don’t have to try it if you don’t want to. It’s not a big deal.”

“Enough with the peer pressure! Where do I sign?!”

So I downloaded it but mostly stayed clear. After all, I didn’t want it to take me to some weird cult Web site and give the government a reason to track my whereabouts on the World Wide Web.

I eventually used it, and the first site it sent me to was something called “FMyLife.” Now, I don’t think I’m allowed to say what the “F” stands for, but I think you catch the drift.

The idea behind the Web site is that random, anonymous people send in the most awful and embarrassing stories that have ever been uttered on the face of this planet and then people say “Yes, your life sucks!” or “You deserved that one.” They range from money to dating to family to work.

I’m going to show you one to give you an example:

“Today I received my passport in the mail. They got my birthday wrong. Then I picked up my birth certificate that I had sent in with the application. Turns out my parents have been celebrating my birthday on the wrong day for 16 years. FML”

Some of them are awful but some are kind of funny to laugh at. They should censor the words, though. My mother reads this paper.

The next site I was taken to was called “PostSecret.” Again, the idea is to share a deep secret anonymously and then put some kind of photo or art piece to go along with it.

This Web site fascinates me because of some of the things that people say on here. They go into great detail and also occasionally provide beautiful pieces of art or amazing photographs to accompany the secret. A random one for you: a picture of a jury summons notice and the words “I’m so excited!” written in red letters.

I pushed the Stumble button one more time and it took me to a Web site that has 4 horses that sing different notes when you click them. You can click in different ways and orders to create harmony and a beat.

I love the Internet so much.

John Paul Green is a freshman theater major. He can be reached for comment at [email protected].