Fjortoft smashes person best in 5,000 meter

Without skipping a beat, sophomore distance runner Silije Fjortoft set a new SMU record in the 5,000-meter Friday at the Mt. SAC Relays in Walnut, Calif.

Fjortoft led the SMU women’s track and field team in the second day with an SMU record-breaking time of 15:55.23, placing her at 12th.

In February, Fjortoft ran a time of 16:19.42 in the 5,000-meter at the Conference USA Indoor Championships in Houston. In March, Fjortoft ran the 5K at the NCAA Indoor Nationals in College Station with a time of 16:18.80. She was honored conference Co-Athlete of the Week for her accomplishments.

Fjortoft is the first Mustang to break the 16-minute mark in the 5K. Karin van Rooyen set the last school record in the 5K in 2002, with a time of 16:03.40.

Fjortoft’s time of 15:55.23 this weekend has placed her among the best athletes at SMU.

“She is already being remembered in my mind as someone who changed the environment of this program,” said head coach Dave Wollman.

Her training program of 80 miles per week has led Fjortoft to be the best, but she is still missing a piece of the puzzle.

“She still isn’t cognizant of how really good she is,” said Wollman. “To make the next level you need to be able to say that you are the best.”

Fjortoft’s modest approach and competitive edge keeps her levelheaded and goal-orientated.

In May, Fjortoft will compete again at steeplechase, an event that Wollman says she has been looking forward to.

Last year, Fjortoft won the 3,000-meter run and was named the conference Freshman of the Year.

Senior teammate Rachael Forish also competed in the 5K at the Mt. SAC Relays, finishing with a time of 16:50.96, which placed her at 21st.

In the throwing events, freshman Simone Du Toit set a new career-best throw in the discus with a throw of 52.77 meters (173 feet, 1 inch).

Junior Lauren Kuhner also set a new personal-best in the hammer, with a throw of 56.41 meters (185 feet, 1 inch). Kuhner captured third place. Also placing in the even was teammate Ayla Gill, with a throw of 48.80 meters.