For your consideration

The West Wing

When you see self-aggrandizing political operatives like James Carville and Karl Rove screaming at each other on MSNBC or spilling contempt across the opinion pages of The New York Times, it’s hard to work up a lot of enthusiasm for the men and women behind the American political process.

“The West Wing,” which went off the air a few years ago and is now available on DVD, offers a different perspective on the world of hardball politics.

The show chronicles the debates and intrigues of an imaginary president and his staff as they attempt to navigate the choppy waters of national politics.

Although the president is a Democrat, “The West Wing” is not partisan. On any issue, the writers offer diverse and often eloquent viewpoints. Watching an episode of the show challenges you to consider your own views carefully.

The characters of “The West Wing” are imperfect people trying to grapple with the most complex issues of our time. But despite their flaws, they are earnest and dedicated, and “The West Wing” inspires hope that politics doesn’t have to be dirty.

At a time when almost no one has much hope that Democrats and Republicans can get along, it’s nice to dream of a world in which we’re all just Americans.

-Nathaniel French

Opinion editor