Clay Pit serves up Indian food complete with ambience

Nestled in north Dallas rests a jewel of Indian delight, which will fulfill the palette of anyone looking for cuisine from a country rich in history and culture.

Clay Pit provides award-winning contemporary Indian cuisine in a visually stimulating atmosphere.

Upon entering, one is hit by the exotic aromas of this far away land.

A towering waterfall fixture, which acts as a partition separating the main dining area from the entrance, greets visitors. The waterfall also provides the allure that something else, more enticing to the patron, is waiting on the other side of its waters.

Enticed by the atmosphere, patrons instantly want to satisfy their palettes with an amazing selection of fare-like no other Indian restaurant in Dallas can provide.

There are appetizers such as the samosa, which is a traditional pastry puff filled with either vegetable, chicken or a combination of both.

Other not so traditional appetizers include Sadhu’s Chili Chicken, a spiced chicken breast with green chili sauce and curry leaves, which is cut into bite size pieces. Take it from one who knows, this will leave your mouth burning.

Flavor is key to Indian cooking and nowhere is the detail more evident than in the staple of Indian cuisine – curry.

Five signature sauces are available, each featuring spices and tastes eaten in a country with a population of more than one billion.

The sauces: korma, jeera sang, mirch masala, tikka masala and vindaloo are paired with the patron’s choice of chicken, lamb, beef or paneer, which is Indian cheese. Fish and shrimp are also available.

The curries are served with basmati rice pilaf, but I highly recommend ordering some naan, or Indian flatbread, to scoop up the sauce.

Patrons can also decide the spiciness of the dish. Those looking for really spicy cuisine can request it, while those timid at heart, can ask for something a little less intense.

The tikka masala is the most recognizable of all the sauces in this grouping and is a fan favorite around the world. The dish is made with a tomato-based butter cream seasoned with herbs and spices.

Featured within a group of house specialties is my favorite dish, Khuroos-E-Tursh, which consists of medallions of chicken breast stuffed with dates, nuts, paneer and spices, covered with a rich nutty cream sauce made of cashew, almonds and pistachio.

Wine pairings are suggested for each dish. Cocktails are also available.

On the weekend, the lunch buffet features an expanded selection of vegetarian dishes and live dosa, which is a South Indian crepe made from rice and lentils.

Patrons also receive a complimentary mango mimosa to quench their thirst.

Besides being named Best Neighborhood Restaurant in 2008 by D Magazine, Clay Pit has received much recognition.

For anyone who loves Indian cuisine, or to those looking to add a little spice to their lives, I highly recommend stopping by the Clay Pit.