Equestrian loses final match of the 2008 regular season

The SMU Equestrian team fell to cross-town rival TCU at the Park Lane Equestrian Center on Saturday afternoon.

With the loss, SMU finished out its regular season 2-5 overall before heading into the National Championships in April.

The meet ended 8-4 in the Horned Frogs’ favor, tying the series between the schools at 1-1 on the season. SMU defeated TCU, 6-5, at the Horned Frogs’ Fieldstone Park on Nov. 10.

In what ended up being an extremely close final score of 895-883, 10 of the 12 rides came down to a seven or fewer point margin. While SMU won three of the seven closer rides, TCU leaped ahead, 4-2 in the flat and fence phases.

Sophomore and team co-captain Kristen Collins received MVP honors on the flat after posting the highest scores – 79 on the flat and 80 over the fences.

On the flat, sophomore Melissa Kowalchik tallied 78 points to complement Collins’ win.

Freshman Kate Wilson pulled off a 78 over 73, followed by sophomore Maia Van Dyke finishing on the flat with a 71, just three points below TCU. Junior Lauren Hester finished 69-76, and sophomore Renee DeLisse lost with a 67-72 point margin.

Over fences, sophomore Erica Buie and Hester clinched two victories for the Mustangs. Buie paved the way with a dominant 78-40 victory, while Hester finished at 78-76. Collins had the team high for SMU but was beat by two points, settling the score at 82-80. Wilson lost 88-70, and Van Dyke missed out by a seven-point spread of 74-67. Freshman Lauren Lieberman came in last at 75-69.

The Mustangs’ next competition will be at the Varsity Equestrian National Championships from April 17-19 at the Heart of Texas Fair Complex in Waco. It will be the final major competition of the season for the Mustangs.