Football players, cheerleaders ‘Storm the Dorms’

SMU students were hit by a surprise storm last night, but itdidn’t involve rain or hail. The second “Storm theDorm” campaign rolled through campus in preparation for the2004 football season and the Sept. 4 opener against Texas Tech.

The storm is sponsored by the Sports Marketing AdvisoryCommittee, a student run group whose goal is to increase awarenessfor Mustang athletics.

“We’re trying to generate excitement about theupcoming season, and not just football,” associate directorof marketing for athletics and sponsor of SMAC Cherri Hollis said.”The volleyball, soccer and other teams are also beginningtheir seasons.”

Football players, along with some of the cheerleaders andmembers of SMAC, spread out across various dorms, fraternity andsorority rows and Umphrey Lee handing out posters featuring thefootball, volleyball, and men’s and women’s soccerteams. Information on school-wide events leading up to the game andhelp on obtaining tickets to the following week’s footballgame in Ft. Worth against TCU were also handed out.

“We try to get the students to meet the football playersso they can get to know them better. That really helps in gettingthe student body out to the various athletic events,” seniorSMAC member Farrar Johnson said.

First-years Julie Coats and Sophia Shah, who live in Boaz Hall,were pleasantly surprised to meet members of the football team.They agreed that the visit was a good way to remind students aboutthe upcoming games.

“I was really happy to meet the players…I’mlooking forward to the season,” Taylor Covington, anotherBoaz resident, said.

The inaugural “Storm the Dorm” was held lastNovember as a prelude to the basketball season. SMAC members andplayers from the men’s and women’s basketball teamsparticipated in the event. According to Shaw more than 1,000posters were handed out and the effects were noticeable.

“Student attendance spiked after the storm, so we decidedto have one for football season,” Shaw said.

SMAC has one more event before the season kicks off. On ThursdaySept. 2 at 7 p.m., they along with the football team are hosting anopen house in the Paul B. Loyd All-Sports Center. The locker roomsand other training facilities will be available for tours byfootball players so students can get a closer look at thefacilities of SMU athletics. Plucker’s will also be servingfree samples of their cuisine in Heritage Hall.

“It should be a great way to lead into the weekend withour big game against Tech!” Shaw said.