For the history books

Mustangs set scoring record against Cougars
Senior linebacker Taylor Reed celebrates after returning an interception for a touchdown.
Mark Reese/The Daily Campus

Senior linebacker Taylor Reed celebrates after returning an interception for a touchdown. (Mark Reese/The Daily Campus)

After a disappointing loss to Tulane a week ago, the Mustangs bounced back with a 72-42 victory over the gritty and explosive University of Houston team Thursday night at Gerald J. Ford Stadium.

SMU’s 72 points set a new school record.

The previous record was 70 points against Daniel Baker College in 1920. The last time SMU scored 60 or more points was in 1936 against Texas A&I (61-0).

“It was not a feeling of the offense scoring 70,” head coach June Jones said. “It was a team deal, and that pretty exciting.”

The Cougars made several careless mistakes from beginning to end turning the ball over nine times, fumbling three times on special teams and throwing six interceptions, three of which were returned for scores.

“We know once we get on a roll [the turnovers] keep coming and that’s a good feeling,” linebacker Taylor Reed said.

During the opening kickoff of the second half, Houston’s Ryan Jackson fumbled at his team’s 18­ yard line – allowing SMU’s Randall Joyner to return it for a score and a 35-14 lead. Then SMU defensive tackle Darrian Wright returned an interception 10 yards for a score, making it 45-14.

However, it wasn’t until after a questionable call erased a touchdown catch by SMU’s Darius Johnson, that the Mustangs showed much intensity. The next play quarterback Garrett Gilbert connected with Jeremy Johnson from 18 yards out with less than two minutes to play in the half.

Twenty-eight seconds later, SMU’s Taylor Reed intercepted a pass and returned it seven yards for his first career touchdown, giving the Mustangs a 28-14 lead going into half and opening the flood gates.

Despite all of the miscues by Houston the score was 14-14 at the beginning of the second quarter. If the Houston team was able to compose itself, the game would have been a lot closer. Houston outgained SMU 560 to 384, but was penalized 9 times for 73 yards and turned the ball over 9 times.

A 43 yard strike from Garrett Gilbert to Keenan Holman, followed by a 24 yard touchdown pass to Darius Johnson 59 seconds later, made the score 59-28.

With certain defeat looking the team in the face, the Cougars continued to fight until the game’s end by scoring two more times on two long plays, a 49 yard touchdown pass and a 75 yard interception return making the score 59-42.

“We knew we would be in a dog fight with how good their offense is and how quick they can score,” Gilbert said. “So offensively it was all about keeping our foot on the pedal all night ­- and we just came out and attacked. “

Gilbert went 23-38 for 265 with four touchdowns and two interceptions on the night. Darius Johnson caught nine passes for 110 yards and two touchdowns.

Zach Line rushed for his 19th 100 yard rushing game of his career. He ran for 113 yards on 22 carries with 2 touchdowns.