Out of the Loop Fringe Festival heads into first weekend

Water Tower Theatre’s annual Out of the Loop Fringe Festival is in its ninth year of presenting the work of small, local theater companies, one-person shows and dance troupes to a broader audience.

This year, a wide variety of performances will be inhabiting the three-stage complex in Addison, including full-fledged musicals such as Greyman Theatre Company’s “Dani Girl,” one-man shows such as the heartfelt, humorous act of Faye Lane’s “Beauty Shop Stories” and dance shows such as Muscle Memory Dance Theatre’s “Black is the Color of that Kettle.”

The festival opened Thursday with performances from Cabaret artist Marjorie Hayes, Broken Gears Project Theatre’s “The Magdalen Whitewash” and Faye Lane as the headliner for the evening.

Shows run every day through March 13, except for this upcoming Monday. Here are some that deserve a second glance as you plan the next week and a half:

“The Magdalen Whitewash”

Broken Gears Project Theatre is committed to bring risky theater to life and this regional premiere follows the usual tread. The play is about The Madgdalene laundries where young girls and women were locked up if they were pregnant out of wedlock. This piece will be performed Sunday at 2 p.m. and March 13 at 5 p.m.

Nouveau 47’s FTP Comedy “Inside the Loop”

This is a improv comedy group that is brand-new Dallas and made a splash with their holiday show in December. They will have two late-night performances on Friday and March 11 at 10p.m. Water Tower is offering students tickets to this show for $5 with one free beer.

Be on the lookout for updates throughout the festival on what shows are worth checking out.