Table tennis looks to bounce competition

The men’s table tennis team takes on Texas WesleyanUniversity Friday night.

The match is a regional competition that will determine whoplays in the collegiate championship.

“With a little bit of luck we’ll be heading on tothe collegiate championships,” the SMU table tennisteam’s faculty adviser Adam Hirsch said. Hirsch is a lawprofessor visiting from Florida State University.

Texas Wesleyan won the North American Collegiate Table Tennischampionships in 2003. The team features the United States TableTennis Association’s 11th-ranked player Eric Owens and the41st-ranked player Courtney Roberts. The USTTA does not issuecollegiate rankings only national rankings.

The team is facing tough competition according to Hirsch andplayer John Beaumont.

Texas Wesleyan also gives out scholarships.

“I only know of two schools that offer scholarships fortable tennis,” Hirsch said.

Countering the Texas Wesleyan players will be SMU’sBeaumont, Le Wang, Shi Chen, and Judah Epstein.

Beaumont, a charter member of the team and No. 1 player, trainedprofessionally for a year in Sweden before enrolling at SMU.

“He’s a power/offensive player,” Hirsch said.”He’s very quick and hits the ball veryhard.”

He is currently ranked 51st in the country and fourth amongcollege students. Beaumont also tried out for the U.S. Olympic teamwhere he placed 17th.

“He’s been an inspiration to everyone,” Hirschsaid. “His willingness to play with us, help train us and seethat everyone else gets better has helped us all.”

Wang, the No. 2 player, formerly played for the Chinese provinceteam before coming to America.

Epstein who plays the four spot is also a member of themen’s tennis team.

The team practices every Monday and Wednesday and the club teampractices Tuesday and Thursday.

Both the team and the club team were chartered in the fallsemester of 2003. Currently, there are four players on the team and44 in the club. The team practices on five tables in the DedmanCenter.

The team’s match is scheduled for Friday at 7 p.m. on theTexas Wesleyan campus.

“We’re looking for support. We would really like tosee some red shirts tomorrow night,” Beaumont said.