Hopkins only sophomore on all-district team roster

Joining elite company, starting sophomore guard Bryan Hopkinswas selected to the 2003-04 National Association of BasketballCoaches Division I All-District 9 Team.

The team, selected and voted on by member coaches of the NABC,showcases the most outstanding players in 15 separatedistricts.

The NABC selects a first and a second team. Hopkins was the onlysophomore named to the first team.

Those selected to the first team in each district are eligibleto be selected to the NABC/Pontiac Division I All-AmericanTeam.

Others on the first team include Texas Tech’s Andre Immettas guard/forward, Rice’s Michael Harris at forward, and Texasteammates Brandon Mouton and Royal Ivey both for their performancesat the guard position.

Hopkins leads the men’s basketball team in scoring, stealsand assists. In addition to averaging 33.8 minutes a game, Hopkinsaverages 3.9 rebounds per game, 3.9 assists per game, and 16.7points per game. For the season he is .419 from the field, .384from behind the three-point arch, and .789 from the free throwline.

In the Mustangs’ last game against Louisiana Tech, Hopkinsscored 26 points.

Hopkins came to the Mustangs highly recruited and his impact wasevident from his addition to the team in the 2002-03 season.

Legendary University of Kentucky coach Phog Allen founded theNABC in 1927. The organization consists of 5,000 members primarilyconsisting of university and college men’s basketballcoaches.