Women’s hoops drops two games on the road

At the start of the Lady Mustangs’ (3-3,7-8) west coasttrip that began last Thursday, the team found itself riding athree-game winning streak. By the end of the trek, the Mustangsstarted a new streak: a two-game losing streak.

The trip started Thursday night in Honolulu. The Mustangs fellbehind early and would never catch the Rainbow Warriors'(2-3, 4-10) wave washing over them.

In the first half, the Mustangs shot a paltry 23.3 percent fromthe field and found themselves trailing by 13 at the half.

The shooting by the Mustangs picked up in the second half,rising all the way to 33.3 percent.

At the end of the night, the Mustangs fell into a position theyhad not known for more than a week: the loss column. Their 50-67loss to Hawaii snapped the three-game win streak.

The team could only blame themselves shooting only 28.6 percentfrom the field all night.

Kaira White led the Mustang scoring efforts with 14 points,freshman Katie Gross contributed nine points and 11 rebounds, andKendall Shead add seven points and five rebounds.

Saturday’s trip to San Jose State (3-2, 11-3) started outwell. The Mustangs led 26-21 at the half and extended the lead to14 early in the second half.

However, the Mustangs suffered a meltdown allowing the Spartansto go on a 15-0 run. The Spartans took the lead, 36-35, with 9:41remaining.

The Spartans continued their run leading by three with only 24seconds left. White provided late-game heroics nailing athree-pointer with only eight seconds left sending the game intoovertime with both teams tied at 52.

In overtime, the Mustangs could not capitalize on White’shot hand, and were outscored 12-7 to fall 59-64. The loss was thesecond for the Mustangs in as many games.

White led Mustang scorers against San Jose State with 17 points,Kim Walter added 12, and Shonte Roberts aided off the bench scoring10 points and grabbing eight rebounds.

Things only get tougher for the Lady Mustangs as their nextopponent is 12th-ranked Louisiana Tech (5-1, 12-2). The team headsto Ruston for a showdown with the WAC’s first place teamSaturday at 7 p.m.