Countdown to conflict

The United States and its allies say diplomacy has failed in it’s demand for disarmament by Iraq. It now appears that military action against Iraq is immanent.

• September 12
    President Bush urges the U.N. General Assembly to “hold Iraq to account.” Secretary of State Colin Powell says that America is prepared to act alone if necessary.
  • October 16
    Bush signs the resolution approved by Congress authorizing him to use force against Iraq.
  • November 8
    The U.N. Security Council unanimously passes Resolution 1441 ordering Iraq to disarm and provide U.N. inspectors unrestricted access or face “serious consequences.”
  • November 13
    Iraq accepts the U.N. resolution.
  • November 27
    Formal inspections begin, almost a month before the 45-day deadline set by 1441.
  • December 7
    Iraq delivers a 12,000-page declaration on its weapons program one day ahead of deadline.
  • December 19
    Hans Blix and Mohammed El Baradei say Iraq’s declaration is not a full accounting. U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell says Iraq “totally failed” to meet U.N. demands.
  • January 27
    Blix reports Iraq has not proved it eliminated illegal weapons; El Baradei finds no evidence of resumption of nuclear program to date.
  • January 28
    In his State of the Union address, Bush says “if Saddam Hussein does not fully disarm, we will lead a coalition to disarm him.”
  • February 1
    Inspectors report Iraqi cooperation is “merely adequate.” France draws U.N. applause for stating there is not yet a justification for war; majority of Security Council want inspections to continue.
  • February 24
    U.S., Britain, and Spain submit resolution stating Saddam has missed the “final opportunity” to disarm peacefully.
  • March 1
    Blix sets deadline set for destruction of Iraq’s Al Samoud 2 missiles.
  • March 7
    Britain offers amendment, setting March 19 deadline for Iraq to disarm; the amendment is supported by Spain and the United States. China, France and Russia say they’ll vote no to any resolution calling for use of force against Iraq.
  • March 17
    U.S., Britain and Spain withdraw resolution. U.N. orders inspectors to leave Iraq; President Bush gives ultimatum to Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein and his sons to leave the country or face military action.
  • March 19
    Seventeen Iraqi soldiers crossed the border into Kuwait and surrendered prior to the American deadline.

Zero hour arrives and the White House announces that Saddam Hussein and his sons have not left the country, according to CIA reports.

America launches a surgical strike against a specific target in downtown Baghdad. The president spoke to the public at 9:15 p.m. central standard time about the attack stating that they believe key Iraqi personnel were in the building which was attacked at 8:30 p.m. central standard time.