Senator resigns

African-American Senator Nina Morris resigned from the StudentSenate at the end of its meeting Tuesday evening.

Morris’ classes conflicted with the weekly meetings.First-year student Matthew Shaw will take her place.

Student Body Vice President Lindsey Hummert said that every timea seat is not filled, approximately 300 students lose a voice inthe body. It’s different concerning the African-American seatbecause a whole community loses representation, she said.

Class conflicts and meeting attendance have been an issue forStudent Senate this semester.

“A representative government does not work withoutrepresentatives there,” Student Body President Thomas Kincaidsaid.

The executive committee denied Dedman II Senator Blake Norvellan excuse to miss 50 minutes of the meeting each week for a class.Norvell said that he is positive he can represent hisconstituents.

Citing that other student senators have given up classes inorder to come to meetings, the body voted not to overturn thecommittee’s decision.

In other business, the chapter of the College Hispanic AmericanStudents gave back $5,700 appropriated to them last semester tohire George Lopez as the keynote speaker for its Hispanic IssuesForum in the spring.