‘Idol’ competition a ‘T.K.’O.

Actor sweeps Mustang Idol

With flashing lights and anticipation in the air, T.K. Stillman,a theater major from Miami, Fla., was announced the Mustang IdolWednesday night in the Hughes-Trigg Theater.

Stillman drew cheers and applause from the audience with hisperformance of Maxwell’s “This Woman’s Work” and Musiq Soulchild’s”Just Friends.”

“I’m so grateful to God. Without Him, I’d be nowhere,” Stillmansaid after he was presented with a $1,000 check and receivedcongratulations from friends.

He plans to give some of his winnings to his mother, pay histuition and save what’s left, he said.

Stillman also won a five-song demo with 50 CD copies. All 10finalists received gift certificates from the Aqua, a crystalkeepsake and a 30-minute recording session.

D.J. Pierce emceed the show and thought of the idea for MustangIdol.

It was overwhelming to see an idea that came to him in theshower one morning come to life, he said.

“The show took a lot of work, and in the end, we were all verypleased to give this opportunity to the students,” Pierce said.”All of the support shows that Mustangs have spirit.”

Students and family filled the theater and carried signssupporting the finalists. About 550 people witnessed the event,which was also simulcast in the Hughes-Trigg ballroom.

The night began with a spirited rendition of the Jackson 5’s “IWant You Back,” performed by the entire group. Jaquai Wade thenpumped up the crowd and sang “Killing Me Softly,” by The Fugees. Avariety of musical genres were showcased, including: rock, pop,R&B and country.

Judges then decided who would move to the next round.

They were looking for personality, voice, presence and crowdinteraction, Cole Dodson said. An SMU alum, actor and formerProgram Council member, Dodson served as the “American Idol”equivalent of Simon Cowell, a judge known for frank comments.

Sommer White of Kim Dawson Talent Agency said that the judgeshad a very difficult time deciding the top five finalists. Atiebreaker judge was called in to make the final decision.

“It should have been a tie in the top five,” White said.

Scooter Mastain, who wasn’t chosen for the top five, felt greatabout his performance and rooted for Blake Minyard during thesecond round.

The remaining finalists returned and performed another song.They thanked their supporters, while ballots were handed to theaudience to vote for the winner. PC members tallied the vote, anddancers from the F Troop dance team entertained the crowd.

Pierce announced the winner and runners up. The finalists’friends and family hurried to the stage to offercongratulations.

Junior anthropology major Nadia Kamar also voted for firstrunner up Minyard.

“I really had high expectations [for the show] and they exceededit,” she said.

Click here for more Mustang Idol pictures