Merged conferences to create stability

The Mountain West Conference and Conference USA both agreed to merge into one football conference beginning in 2013. Conversation surrounding SMU joining the Big East has heated up adding to the slew of realignment taking place this season. Making conferences like the MWC and C-USA a little uneasy about their future.

The two leagues plan to merge into a “mega-conference” that will have between 20 and 24 teams. As for a name for the merged conference, that has yet to be determined.

MWC commissioner Craig Thompson on a conference call Friday night said, “I’m just trying to create stability-greater stability- so we’re not talking about membership issues.”

As the two conferences merge, they are working hard to keep schools such as Air Force Academy and Boise State. Thompson said, “it’s a viable option and it creates stability and that’s what they’re looking for” then added, “I can’t answer what Air Force will do or won’t do, but we’re going to put a very attractive opportunity on the table for the United States Air Force Academy.”

As more developments occur in the season of realignment the final outcome and final destinations for affected teams will fall into place. It seems however a merged MWC and C-USA conference is in the future beginning in 2013.