Students receive school rings

Perkins Chapel hosts second annual ceremony

Students who ordered school rings received them in a ceremony at Perkins Chapel on Sunday.

The ceremony, which kicked off at 2 p.m., was the second annual event of its kind. The ceremony was designed to link past Mustang graduates with future ones with the common link of the ring.

University President R. Gerald Turner, Vice President of Development and External Affairs Brad Cheves, Jill Stevens from the Office of Development and External Affairs and Chair of the SMU Alumni Board, Don Snell were on hand to distribute rings to students.

Before the presentation, each spoke on the importance of the school ring as a link to past Mustang generations.

Turner spoke of three symbols that students should forever remember in their connection with the university. He pointed to Dallas Hall a one of the symbols, Perkins Chapel as another, and finally, the Mustang. A Mustang is engraved in each of the rings and is meant to symbolize the connection between each generation of SMU alumni.

The university plans to continue the annual ring ceremony in hopes that it will find itself added to the list of ongoing SMU traditions.

School rings are available in yellow or white gold. Each rings features the University seal on the face with the school’s motto “Veritas Liberabit Vos.” Engraved on the inside of the ring is the student’s name or initials and a Mustang.