Craig James returns to SMU campus

Former SMU standout running back and current ESPN sports commentator Craig James is returning to the Hilltop to encourage students to get off the sideline and into the game.

This one of a kind presentation by one of SMU’s most distinguished alums will be taking place in the Hughes-Trigg Student Center Ballroom today at 7 p.m.

“It’s been a privilege to be able to speak to millions of Americans and college football fans,” James said. “To have the opportunity to go back to my school and to visit with the students is something I’m thankful for and looking forward to being a part of.”

James isn’t just here to talk football. He’s also here to support the idea that young Texans need to get involved in the preservation of America’s liberty.

“I’m passionate about getting out and encouraging Americans to get involved, specifically the 18-29 year olds,” James said. “I want young Americans to understand how important they are to the future of America.”

The thriving entrepreneur will promote the free market principles that helped found America and established our nation as one of the world’s greatest economic powers.

“We are America,” James said. “It’s not just the 70 and 80 year olds, it’s the 18 and 20 year olds, and I’m just trying to push everyone to be as involved as they can be.”

As a Texan, James is concerned about government involvement in business and health care. He has the ability to relate his football experiences to politics, which in turn should get SMU students enthusiastic about civic responsibility.

“Through sharing my experiences as a successful businessman and entrepreneur, and by getting involved myself,” he said, “I can answer questions and try to encourage students as best as I can.”

James is on the board of the Texas Public Policy Foundation, a conservative-based organization in Austin that advocates limited government and running universities more like businesses.

Earlier this year, James entertained the idea of running for a U.S. Senate seat and has not ruled out making a run in Republican politics.

“I’m not trying to push Republican or Democrat,” James said. “I’m just pushing involvement and how to get involved.”

James is proud to be an SMU alum and attributes his success to the University.

“SMU allowed me to get around a lot of people that are successful and had an interest in doing something with their lives,” he said. “The foundation of learning and teaching is just remarkable.”

The first stop of the Craig James Tour was at Texas A&M University Sept. 27. He will then travel to Austin at the University of Texas on Nov. 8.