‘Fun Size’ falls flat despite solid cast

Victoria Justice and Jane Levy star in  ‘Fun Size.’
Courtesy of Nickelodeon Pictures
Victoria Justice and Jane Levy star in ‘Fun Size.’

Victoria Justice and Jane Levy star in ‘Fun Size.’ (Courtesy of Nickelodeon Pictures)

Fun Size’s title is perhaps the movie industry’s most foreboding title in recent memory.

A lot of the young adult comedy is fun, but like the pint-sized candy bars that the film draws its name from the fun is few and far between.

In the film, Victoria Justice stars as a Wren, an all-American high school senior who is forced to spend her last Halloween in the adolescent world escorting her more-than-eccentric brother Albert on his candied conquest.

Justice is a delight is Wren – the Nickelodeon star finally gets to act beyond television, It’s a shame that Max Werner’s dismal screenplay gave Justice such lame lines to say.

Opposite Justice is Suburgatory’s Jane Levy.

Levy, just like her co-star Justice, does a formiable job as sidekick April but the weak script makes her comedic timing feel like socially awkward discourse.

Like most movies of this genre, Wren and April’s night goes awry when Wren’s little brother wanders away while trick-or-treating.

Albert’s disappearance leads the two girls on a jaunt around town that includes antics involving everything from fireworks, firearms and a robotic chicken.

It is during one of these antic that Wren and April are introduced to Fuzzy, a lonely gas station worker that represents everything that is wrong with Fun Size.

Fuzzy is a shining examples of Werner’s diluted screenplay. The character’s sole existence is to spout off lines that no self-respecting human of his age have any business saying. Thomas Middleditch, the poor guy, plays Fuzzy.

On the opposite end of the acting spectrum is Chelsea Handler. Handler drops her late night talk show personality and steps in to play the role of Wren’s mother Joy.

It’s refreshing to see Handler tackle a semi-serious role. The scenes with her and Victoria Justice are some of the film’s best.

While Fun Size may not be the high brow audience’s movie of choice, at parts, it certainly is fun.