Austin considers new laws

Even though the Texas Legislature was sworn in at the start of the month, only now is it getting down to work in Austin. While big issues like school finance reform gain a large amount of media coverage, four bills introduced have caught the attention of The Daily Campus. We will continue to update readers on their status throughout the session.

Senate Bill 25:

Filed by Sen. Judith Zaffirini (D-Laredo), the bill would allow local police, county sheriffs and state troopers to set up sobriety checkpoints on highways and streets. Any check by officials can last no longer than three minutes, and a checkpoint station can only run for four hours.

Senate Bill 139:

Introduced by Sen. Rodney Ellis (D-Houston), the bill would require cell phone owners to use a “hands-free device” when operating the phone while driving.

House Bill 193:

Introduced by Rep. Rob Eissler (R-The Woodlands), the bill would require the registration of beer kegs. A registration label would be placed on each keg with the name and address of the purchaser, date and time of purchase and the keg registration number. A separate form must be filled out stating that the purchaser is of legal age and will not serve alcohol to those under 21. Removal of the registration sticker from the keg would result in a Class C misdemeanor.

House Bill 255:

Introduced by Rep. Armando Martinez (D-Weslaco), the bill would make the devaluation of gift cards illegal. Businesses would not be allowed to reduce the amount over a period of time or charge fees for the non-use of a card.