Kraft to lead Mustangs into the Morris Williams Intercollegiate over the weekend

The SMU men’s golf team will head to Austin, Texas for the 44th annual Morris Williams Intercollegiate on Monday and Tuesday.  

Last year, the Mustangs finished eighth out of 18 teams at the competition. As a team they carded a final-round 309 at the par-71, 7,412-yard University of Texas Golf Club.

Current junior Kelly Kraft tied for ninth place, shooting 9-over 222. Current sophomore Max Buckley edged out teammate James Kwon by only one shot. Buckley tied for 29th, while Kwon tied for 32nd.

SMU is coming off an impressive showing at the National Invitational Tournament at Omni Tucson National. The team came in third place out of 14 teams at the par-72, 7,200-yard course. Their impressive tournament-low 278 in the final round proved to be the difference maker. They finished behind No. 22 Texas Christian University and No. 7 Texas.

Kraft, Kwon and sophomore Matt Schovee, all broke 70 in the second day of play. Kraft shot 68 while Schovee and Kwon each shot 69. Senior Draegen Majors followed close behind with an even-par 72.

Three Mustangs played in the UTD Spring Classic last Tuesday. Freshman Brian Fragakis took first place in the tournament. Juniors Marc Sambol and Aaron Stewart both finished in the top-20.

Last week, Kraft was named Conference USA Golfer of the Week. It is the sixth time he has received the honor.