Mustangs dive into third place

Taylor Henry/ The Daily Campus
The Women’s swimming and diving team took third place in the SMU Classsic at Perkins Natatorium on Saturday evening, finishing with a total of 257 points, placing the Mustangs ahead of Louisville, Virginia and Wisconsin.

The Women’s swimming and diving team took third place in the SMU Classsic at Perkins Natatorium on Saturday evening, finishing with a total of 257 points, placing the Mustangs ahead of Louisville, Virginia and Wisconsin. (Taylor Henry/ The Daily Campus)

When events wrapped up on Saturday night in the Perkins Natatorium, the Mustang women’s swimming and diving team had taken third place in the SMU Classic.

After finishing in third place through the first day of swimming and diving, the Mustangs held their ground into the second day, finishing with a total of 257 points.

This final score was enough to beat out 40th ranked Louisville(256.5), 13th ranked Virginia(248) and 11th ranked Wisconsin(214.5).

However No. 6 ranked Texas won the event, finishing with 350 points, and No. 7 ranked Florida finished in second with 330 points.

In a tournament with four top 20 teams, a third place finish is certainly an accomplishment for the Mustangs.

Top performers for the Mustangs included senior Therese Svendsen, freshman Isabella Arcila, and sophomore Nina Rangelova.

Svendsen, an All-American backstroke specialist, finished second in both the 100- and 200-yard backstroke with times of 55.32 and 1:58.75 respectively.

Arcila’s best performance came in the 50-yard freestyle, where she placed second with a time of 23.32.

Nina Rangelova, a freestyle specialist, placed third in both the 200- and 500- yard freestyles with times of 1:48.47 and 4:48.87 respectively.

Other Mustangs, including swimmer Erica Donadon and diver Sky Corbett-Methot, had strong performances.

The next event the Mustangs will host will be Nov. 4 at Perkins Natatorium where they will be competing against North Texas and Wyoming.