Mustangs get shut out for second time this season

A team plagued by turnovers fell hard over the weekend. TheMustangs (1-7, 1-4) lost to the Fresno State Bulldogs (4-3, 1-3)42-0 over the weekend.

The team struggled with blooper-reel mistakes, including afumble when a snap bounced of quarterback Tony Eckert’shelmet, an interception that occurred after a pass bounced off areceiver’s knee and a fumble on attempt to extend the ballover the goal line.

Midway through first quarter, Fresno State took any early leadafter Bryson Sumlin punched in a touchdown from 1 yard out. Thescore capped a 10-play, 70 yard drive.

The Bulldogs found the end zone less than three minutes laterafter an Eckert fumble, to up their lead to 14-0 after anotherSumlin run and kicker Brett Visintainer’s extra point.

Looking to stop the Bulldogs’ momentum in the second half,the Mustangs were unsuccessful in stopping the Fresno State offenseby allowing a 21-point second quarter.

Early in the second, Paul Pinegar completed a touchdown pass toRoshon Vercher. After Visintainer’s kick the Bulldogs foundthemselves up 21-0.

After another fumble by Eckert that was recovered by FresnoState, the Bulldogs regained control of the ball and took advantageof the possession. Adam Jennings took the ball 28 yards for theBulldogs’ fourth touchdown of the night. Visintainer’skick put the Bulldogs ahead 28-0.

After a Mustang punt, Fresno State capped a 9-play, 83 yarddrive when Pinegar connected with Jaron Fairmon for Pinegar’ssecond touchdown pass of the night and the team’s fifth. WithPinegar’s kick, the Bulldogs took a 35-0 lead intohalftime.

In the second half, the Bulldogs got their final touchdown ofthe night on their first drive when Pinegar completed his thirdtouchdown pass of the night, this time to Joe Fernandez.Visintainer kicked his sixth successful extra point to give theBulldogs their last point and a 42-0 lead that would hold for therest of the game.

The Mustangs failed to score late in the game within theBulldogs’ 5-yard line, but were stopped short of the goalline.

With the win, the Bulldogs snapped a three-game losing streakand handed the Mustangs their fourth straight loss.

Three of the Bulldogs’ touchdowns came off of Mustangturnovers.

Eckert finished the night 9-for-16 for 158 yards and twointerceptions. Backup quarterback Jerad Romo led all Mustangrushers with 71 yards off 11 carries.

The Mustangs next take on the Tulsa Golden Hurricane 2 p.m.,Saturday in the Homecoming game.