Women reman perfect in C-USA, continue to extend winning streak

Naam Brigade loses the war
Naam Brigade loses the war

SMU’s Karina Baker (Christopher Saul / The Daily Campus)

Sunday the SMU women’s basketball team (16-4, 7-0 C-USA) will host Marshall (7-13, 1-6 C-USA) at 2 p.m. in Moody Coliseum in the final leg of the Play4Kay initiative for breast cancer awareness.

The Mustangs will take on a reeling Marshall team that had lost eight games in a row until they beat Memphis on Sunday 55-54.

The Mustangs have had little to no trouble in conference play. The Mustangs (11-2 at home) haven’t lost a game at Moody Coliseum in over six weeks.

Keena Mays has been playing lights out averaging over 20 points a game while shooting 44 percent from the field and 43 percent from three point range.

Alisha Filmore is another Mustang having a stellar year, averaging 12.5 points a game. Filmore will look to surpass the 1000-point mark for her SMU career in the coming games. She needs 69 more to become the 20th player in SMU history to reach the milestone.

In search of yet another league win, the Mustangs will need to keep the Thundering Herd off the boards, and continue to pressure them with their offense.

Throughout league, the Lady Mustangs have proven to be a force-to-reckon with. The team received votes from the Associated Press Top 25 Poll for the first time since 2010.

After Sunday’s 2 p.m. game against Marshall, the Mustangs will head back on the road for two away games before returning to Moody to face Tulsa.