Cafe Herrera brings traditional Tex-Mex to Mockingbird Station

Upsets, Florida showdown on tap in NCAA this weekend

Shrimp enchiladas are one of many delicious dishes available at Cafe Herrera’s new Mockingbird Station location. (Tashika Varma / The Daily Campus)

Mockingbird Station welcomes another new restaurant, Cafe Herrera. This Tex-Mex restaurant is located in the space formerly occupied by Margarita Ranch.

The Herrera family owns the Cafe Herrera chain, with the original café opening on Maple Avenue in 1971. After a fire, the cafe moved across the street where it is now.

This new location has the same Tex-Mex food but with a twist. Not only are there new lighter seafood options at the Mockingbird Station location, but also the new location has a selection of tequila-based cocktails for the 21 and up crowd.

The restaurant has a cozy feel with large wooden doors at its entrance.

With southwestern decor and a wide-open seating area, Cafe Herrera is perfect for families.

The inside of the restaurant has photographs lining the wall giving it a homey feel.

Another great feature is the large private family room called Amelia’s Room, which feature a family-style table.

There is outdoor seating as well with an outdoor bar.

Instead of plain margaritas, Cafe Herrera has signature green margaritas.

The food itself is typical Tex-Mex. The salsa is deliciously spicy and fresh.

Each bite has a kick in it that has you digging another chip in without a second though.

On the other hand, the queso is below average. It had no flavor and the consistency is chunky. This is one appetizer to avoid.

The enchiladas are a must try. The brisket enchiladas made with slow cooked brisket and topped with spicy queso are mouth-watering.

For shrimp lovers, the shrimp enchiladas is the perfect dish to try.

Can’t decide what to order? Cafe Herrera offers combination platters allowing you to make your own combination of enchiladas, tostadas, crispy tacos or tamales.

The menu will change seasonally but the traditional menu items from the original Cafe Herrera will stay the same.

Cafe Herrera is opened all week from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. with the bar open until 11 p.m. from Sunday through Wednesday and until midnight Thursday to Saturday.

Cafe Herrera also offers brunch Saturday and Sunday from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.