Hughes-Trigg changes to help students on-the-go

Renovations inside the Hughes-Trigg Student Center are focused on improving student needs specifically, the need for food on the go. SMU Dining Services and Aramark are in the middle of a two and a half month over haul of The Market and the debut of the Java City Cyber Café.

According to Gil Heiselt, Director of Operations, the changes are a much-needed update for students.

“It was time to freshen things up, and I think everyone will like how it will turn out.”

Inside The Market, there are several changes. Before, the back wall was blocked with coolers for soda. Now the coolers have been removed, revealing the wall of windows that were previously covered up. The back wall will now have large chip displays that will still allow the windows to be seen.

The Java City that used to be inside the back right corner has been removed and replaced with multiple rear-load coolers. According to Heiselt, the coolers are designed to have the coolest drinks in the front of the case while also allowing for larger variety of choices.

The Freshens Smoothie location in the front right side has also been removed. In its place will be Montague’s Deli – relocating from the west side of Hughes-Trigg.

The Market has also received a new coat of paint and new lighting. Heiselt says that the shelving units will be broken up and spread out so traffic will flow easier and look more eye-pleasing. Additional air screen coolers have also been added, which will allow for a larger amount of fresh produce and other products to be sold.

The new Java City location will be unlike anything students have seen on campus before, according to Heiselt.

Like The Market, previously hidden and obstructed windows will be revealed. On the west side of the location will be a bar height counter with computers located on it. The south side will feature normal height tables with computers. In total, there should be 15 flat-screened monitors that will provide internet access.

New décor inside Java City includes hardwood floors mixed with carpet, new lighting and a modern style that should appeal to students and faculty.

The Freshens Smoothie concept from The Market will make its way to the menu of Java City for those who need a daily smoothie fix. Heiselt says that they tentatively plan to have Java City open from 7 am to 10 pm, but depending on demand and usage it could stay open as late as midnight.

Both projects are on schedule and should open during the first week of August.