Three from SMU’s women’s track and field team compete in Texas Relays

Three members of SMU’s track and field team traveled to Austin this past weekend to compete in the 2011 84th Clyde Littlfield Texas Relays at the University of Texas. It was a four- day event that concluded Saturday.

The meet consisted of nearly 3,000 athletes and 70,000 fans, and is the University of Texas’ biggest event of the year.

The participants were sophomore Lisa Egarter, freshman Helena Perez, and nationally known sophomore Simone Du Toit.

Egarter placed eighth overall in the heptathlon which consisted of nine events and contributed 5,116 total points.

Chelsea Carrier from West Virginia was the winner of the event with 5,927 points.

The first of the heptathlon events was the 100-meter hurdles where Egarter earned 832 points.

Next up was the high jump where she jumped 1.76 meters and earned 928 points to receive second place in the event. Egarter also placed fifth in the javelin throw with a throw of 36.74 meters.

Also included in the heptathlon was the 200-meter dash where Egarter received 744 points.

Other events included in the heptathlon where Egarter competed were the 800-meter run, the long jump, and the shot put.

Perez competed in the shot put and placed seventh with a throw of 14.26 meters.

In the discus category, Simone du Toit threw to the 51.60 meter mark.

The Mustangs are now ranked 17th for the season and only have four meets left before the conference championships.

SMU’s next stop will be in Walnut, Calif. for the Mt. Sac relays that take place this coming weekend for three days.