Horton Foote’s ‘A Trip to Bountiful’ heartfelt, tender

Elly Lindsay and Tom Lenaghen star in “A Trip to Bountiful,” Contemporary Theatre of Dallas’ entry in the Horton Foote Festival, on stage through May 1.
Photo Courtesy of Contemporary Theatre of Dallas

Elly Lindsay and Tom Lenaghen star in “A Trip to Bountiful,” Contemporary Theatre of Dallas’ entry in the Horton Foote Festival, on stage through May 1. (Photo Courtesy of Contemporary Theatre of Dallas)

Most of Horton Foote’s plays explore themes of family, both the good and the bad, and Contemporary Theatre of Dallas’ entry into the city wide Horton Foote festival is no different. Rene Moreno directs a talented cast in a heartfelt performance of Foote’s classic, “A Trip to Bountiful.”

“A Trip to Bountiful” is one of Foote’s most well-known works, thanks to a compelling story and a 1985 film adaptation starring Academy-award winner Geraldine Page. The play originally opened on Broadway in November of 1953 and starred Lillian Gish.

The play tells the story of Carrie Watts, an aging widow trapped in a house with her cuckolded son and irritable daughter-in-law in Houston. The play is about Carrie’s journey to regain a sense of meaning in her life and her desire to see her hometown of Bountiful once more before she passes on. Elly Lindsay gives a beautiful performance as the widow; it’s heart-breaking to watch her ill-treatment at the hands of the spoiled Jessie Mae, played convincingly by Sue Loncar.

It’s a simple plot and a somber play, but Rene Moreno manages to elicit performances from his actors which draw the audience wholly into this story of redemption. Mother Watt’s determination to reach her hometown is inspirational to everyone she meets on her journey home and is eventually enough to even move her disagreeable daughter-in-law to broker a more amicable relationship.

At times melancholy, at times tender and always heartfelt, the cast of Contemporary Theatre’s “Bountiful” breathes energy and life into this Foote classic.

“Bountiful” opened Friday night and runs through May 1. $10 student rush tickets go on sale to students with an ID 15 minutes before the curtain.