Du Toit and Lindh lead SMU track and field to fourth place finish in Houston

The SMU track and field team posted their best performance since joining Conference USA in 2006 at the Conference USA Indoor Championships this weekend, earning a fourth place finish with a total of 69 points.

The Mustangs competed on Friday at the University of Houston and picked up a win in the distance medley relay. SMU finished with a time of 11:37.87 finish, topping second place by more than 15 seconds. The team consisted of Mary Alenbratt (1200m) Egheosa Osawemwenze (400m), Lovisa Lindh (800m) and Silje Fjortoft (1600m).

On Saturday, SMU picked up where they left off as Lindh earned C-USA’s Freshman of the Meet honor after winning the 800-meter run with a 2:11.26 finish.

Sophomore Simone Du Toit also earned a victory in her individual event. Du Toit dominated the shot put event with a 16.84 meter throw.

In other throwing events, Ayla Gill placed second in the weight throw with an 18.28-meter toss and Helena Perez earned a third place finish in the shot put with a 14.28-meter throw.

Sophomore Lisa Egarter finished second overall in the pentathlon, placing second in three of the five events.

Egarter also placed seventh in the individual high jump, finishing behind teammate Viktoria Leks who tied for third with a 1.72 meter jump.

Alenbratt and Fjortoft continued their impressive performances as both runners finished in the top 10 in the one mile run.

Alenbratt placed third with a 4:53.29 finish and Fjortoft placed ninth with a 5:02.84 finish.

Sophomore Klara Bodinson raced to a 9:45.65 time in the 3000 meter run to finish sixth while junior Monika Korra finished ninth in the 5000-meter with a time of 17:44.3.

Junior Amber Evans led SMU in the sprinting category with an eighth place finish in the 200-meter dash.

SMU will travel to South Bend, Ind. to take part in the Notre Dame Last Chance Meet on March 5.