Former Mustang Gregg honored in “Hometown Hall of Fame”

Former offensive tackle and SMU Hall of Famer Forrest Gregg will be honored Monday afternoon in his hometown of Sulphur Springs, Texas as part of the “Hometown Hall of Famers” program.

“Hometown Hall of Famers”, which is run by the Pro Football Hall of Fame and Allstate, is a national program that honors the hometown roots of the sport’s greatest coaches, players and contributors with special ceremonies and plaque dedication events in their hometowns.

The ceremony will be held at Sulphur Springs High School where Gregg played.

In addition to receiving the plaque, a commemorative Forrest Gregg “Hometown Hall of Famers” sign will be placed at the school where Gregg played.

Gregg, who served as the Mustangs’ football coach (1989-1990) and school athletic director (1990-1994), was a second-round pick of the Green Bay Packers in the 1956 NFL Draft and went on to play 15 years in the league.

The former Mustang played 14 years for the Packers (one for the Dallas Cowboys), where legendary head coach Vince Lombardi referred to him as “the finest player I ever coached.”

Around the league, Gregg was known as the “iron-man” for his then league-record 188 consecutive games played.

Gregg had an exceptional career, winning All-NFL acclaim eight times and being selected to nine Pro Bowls en route to the hall of fame class of 1977.

Gregg also played a crucial role during the Packers’ run in the 1960s, when Green Bay won five NFL Championships and two Super Bowls.

In his final season in the NFL, Gregg joined the Super Bowl-bound Dallas Cowboys where he helped the team win its first super bowl. The title was Gregg’s sixth, tying him with former teammate Fred Thurston for the most by any one player.

After his retirement, Gregg was inducted into Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1977.