The Single Guy

A knight in rusty armor
 The Single Guy
The Single Guy

The Single Guy

There’s a rumor going around that chivalry is dead. Chivalry isn’t extinct, but it’s most certainly on the endangered list. In today’s fast-paced world, manners and respect for others tend to get buried beneath the ever-growing pile of self-involvement and prudence.

Most women have given up on their attempts to have a date with a knight in shining armor. But fear not ladies, most guys have it in them they just don’t know how to use it.

Pre-date actions should be taken to ensure that the date goes smoothly. Some of this should be second nature, but you never know these days.

First and foremost, put your cell phone, pager, or anything else that can beep, buzz, or ring on silent. Better yet, turn whatever it may be completely off.

Second, make sure you have showered, brushed your teeth, used deodorant and so forth. A reasonable amount of cologne would be nice too. However, not so much that people can smell you in the spot you left five minutes ago.

Next, make sure you are dressed properly. You wouldn’t want your date to be formal while you are in a polo shirt and khakis. Once these steps have been taken you’re ready to pick her up.

For starters, when picking a girl up from her home or otherwise, get out of the car, go to the door and present yourself formally. Make sure that you compliment your lady on how lovely she looks. A gift such as flowers will help immensely.

Do not remain in the car and honk the horn to indicate that you have arrived. Girls do not like it when, as a friend told me, a guy “uses the ghetto doorbell.” Be sure and open the car door for her. It may seem like a small thing to do, but little things usually amount to big points down the road. While driving be sure and ask for her taste in music. Right now it isn’t about you, it’s about pleasing your date.

When you arrive at the restaurant or wherever you destination may be, open the car door for her. Once again compliment her to instill your sincerity. Upon entry into the restaurant be sure to open the door for her. Sure this seems obvious, but everyone makes at least one stupid mistake. Don’t let this be the one mistake you make. Once inside the restaurant and at the table, make a point to pull out her chair for her. Admittedly, this is something I haven’t done much, but I’ve found that the results of the evening are much better when you pull out her chair.

While waiting for your food, stimulating conversation is your goal. Be sure that it’s not just your conversation, either. Always ask for her point of view so that she feels involved. Also, eye contact is a big deal. Although the girl at the table next to you may be a knockout, don’t gawk while in your date’s presence.

Another rule to abide by is to never mention any exes you may have. It’s pathetic and rude to do so. If she mentions any of her exes, act interested while trying to change the subject as smoothly as you can.

Most importantly, be honest about who you are. If all goes well, she will eventually find out who you are, so what’s the point of lying about something on the first date?

Once the food arrives, make sure your napkin is in your lap and that you’re eating with the proper utensil. I’m not going to go into how to eat properly so if you’re curious, e-mail me and I’ll give you the link to Miss Manners.

Make sure that your date takes the first bite. If there’s something wrong with her dish, you are the man so you should be the one to handle it. Do so in an authoritative, but not overly aggressive manner.

When the bill comes, you pay. That should be a no-brainer, especially if it’s the first date. If you’re a penny pincher get over it, hopefully she’ll be worth it. On the way out hold the door again. If it is a cool night, always give up whatever clothing you have on that might make her warmer with the exception of your pants.

While nothing is guaranteed, these steps are almost foolproof. Most importantly, just be yourself. Sure you want to impress your lady friend, but don’t go over the top. The evening isn’t about you. It’s about making that her know that she is special to you. Hopefully, by the end of the night she will see you in the shining armor you have always had buried beneath your macho persona and self-indulging ways.