Melissa McCarthy’s success earns her $30 million paycheck

Melissa McCarthy is the star of the newly released film “Identity Thief.” (Courtesy of AP)

In Hollywood, $30 million is a magic number that only a few of the industry’s elite can claim to have achieved for a film’s opening weekend.

Stars like Cameron Diaz, Jennifer Aniston and Angelina Jolie have all reached this milestone and after last weekend’s $34.6 million performance from “Indentify Thief,” Melissa McCarthy can officially call herself a superstar.

It seems as if McCarthy’s rise to stardom has been quick, if not meteoric, as the heavy-set funny woman has charmed on television, film and a multiple award shows. How exactly did this headliner become such a bankable name? It’s simple, really, by being very, very funny:

Here is a look at some of McCarthy’s notable roles:

Sookie St. James – Gilmore Girls (2000-2007): Every character on the brilliantly penned WB (now CW) series “Gilmore Girls” was as loveable as the next, but none was near as charming, and funny, as McCarthy’s Sookie St. James. Against the quaint backdrop of Stars Hollow, St. James was introduced as a chef in Lorelai Gilmore’s (SMU’s very own Lauren Graham) inn. McCarthy’s stint on the show was memorable and McCarthy’s fan base started forming. People loved Sookie.

Molly Flynn – Mike & Molly (2010-Present): It’s every actor’s dream to star in his or her own television show, especially as the female lead. Billed as a sitcom for the heavier set of America’s public, Mike & Molly is one of CBS’ more consistent performing programs and McCarthy’s is to blame. She plays Molly Flynn, a suburbanite who met her husband Mike (Billy Gardell) at an overeaters anonymous meeting. Not only did the public embrace McCarthy’s character, but the industry did as well – McCarthy won the Primetime Emmy for Outstanding Lead Actress in 2011.

Megan – Bridesmaids (2011): McCarthy’s Megan in the hilariously raunchy, female-driven comedy “Bridesmaids” was how the star really was born.

McCarthy’s character served as comedic relief for the film and delivered many of the film’s stingingly scripted one-liners. The comedic performance was so inspired that McCarthy picked up an Oscar nomination for the role the same year. An Oscar nom for fart jokes? That doesn’t happen everyday.

Considering McCarthy’s recent success at the box office, it’s only a matter of time before we see the star’s face everywhere.

With a role alongside Sandra Bullock in the upcoming film “The Heat,” McCarthy will be a media mainstay until the summer release. For now, let’s just sit back, relax and watch a career take off.