Out of the frying pan, into the fire

Michael Danser/The Daily Campus
SMU football defeated cross-town rivals TCU 40-33 in over time for the 2011 Iron Skillet in Fort Worth.

SMU football defeated cross-town rivals TCU 40-33 in over time for the 2011 Iron Skillet in Fort Worth. (Michael Danser/The Daily Campus)

The 2012 Iron Skillet will be more of a match-up than ever next season, when the Mustangs take on the TCU Horned Frogs at home in Ford Stadium this fall.

This past season, the Mustangs defeated TCU 40-33 in overtime to take home the trophy in the 76th meeting of the two teams.

The Horned Frogs lost several key players last season in a high-profile drug bust in which 17 total TCU students were arrested. The four athletes who were arrested, Tanner Brock, D.J. Yendrey, Devin Johnson and Tyler Horn, were all removed from the team following the incident.

Brock, Yendrey and Johnson were all prominent defensive players for the team and their removal has left a gaping hole in TCU’s starting lineup.

Brock, a junior linebacker, was the leading tackler two seasons ago and was a starter this season before being benched due to an ankle injury in September. He was also named an All-Mountain West performer in the 2010 season.

Yendrey, a junior defensive tackle, led TCU interior linemen in tackles in 2011 and was named honorable mention by the All-Mountain West.

Johnson, a junior cornerback for the team, started eight games in 2011 for the Horned Frogs in which he had an impressive 47 tackles and two and a 1/2 sacks.

Johnson was formally charged with three cases of delivery of marijuana between one-quarter ounce and five pounds. Each case carries a penalty of up to two years in jail and a $10,000 fine.

Despite the enormous loss of some of their strongest players, TCU has managed to bring in some promising talent for the upcoming season.

The Horned Frogs signed several strong players including tight end, Griffen Gilbert, from Austin, Texas and Devonte Fields, a defensive end from Arlington, Texas.

Not only will a loss of players challenge TCU, but their move to the Big 12 will also bring a harder conference schedule too.

The Horned Frogs will now face Texas, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State Big 12 super powers that have proven themselves to be a far cry from previous TCU opponents in the Mountain West conference.

SMU is looking to start their final year in Conference USA strong.

With additions like former University of Texas-Austin quarterback Garrett Gilbert and a solid list of three-star recruits, they are heading in the right direction.

Gilbert will head to the Hilltop this summer to begin taking courses in graduate school and will be eligible in June to play in the upcoming season this fall.

“I’m just excited about getting back out and being able to practice again,” Gilbert said in a recent interview with Billy Embody.

Gilbert was a top recruit out of high school, so expectations for him are high. He had 3,301 yards passing and 13 touchdowns in his career at the University of Texas.

SMU is known for its passing offense, something that Gilbert is familiar with after coming from a school like UT, and a trait that will be important as SMU gears up to move to the Big East in 2013.

Overall, things are looking up for SMU football. With spring practice wrapping up, Coach June Jones is looking ahead to the start of a new year and the unveiling of a newer, stronger team.

“Our kids have really worked hard. They’re in good shape,” Jones said in a recent interview at practice.

Both SMU and TCU have made significant changes in their teams over the past season, which will prove interesting in their upcoming match up next season.

The Battle for the Iron Skillet will take place at SMU on Sept. 29.