Who should really be starting for the Mustangs?

The question probably has crossed your mind, “Who should be the starting quarterback, J.J. McDermott or Kyle Padron?”

If you don’t know about the quarterback controversy, Padron was starting quarterback at the beginning of the season. That didn’t even last a quarter.

After Texas A&M defenders intercepted two of Padron’s first four passes, Coach June Jones put backup McDermott in the game. He completed 21 of 34 passes for 254 yards and a touchdown. More importantly, he didn’t throw any interceptions.

In 2010, Padron played outstanding football. He set school records for passing yards, total yards, touchdowns, completions and attempts. However, he also threw 14 interceptions. Padron’s multiple interceptions may be responsible for Jones’ decision to go with McDermott as the starting quarterback for now.

In the following UTEP and Northwestern State games, Jones still played Padron in designated series. Despite throwing another interception, Padron played well in both games, but hasn’t played since.

I can only speculate Padron was benched this season because of interceptions, but this should be expected with how much Jones likes to throw the football. The benching was unfortunate for Padron. Four passes doesn’t dictate the quality of a quarterback, especially when Padron threw for 3828 yards and 31 touchdowns the previous season.

This is McDermott’s first season as starting quarterback. Padron has significantly more experience and, looking at the decision from the outside, it makes no sense.

However, it seems to be the right decision for this 2011 team. The Mustangs are 4-0 with McDermott as the starting quarterback, and he has steadily played better every single game.

While I don’t understand the decision to bench Padron, I have to congratulate McDermott on seizing the opportunity.