SMU women’s track breaks multiple records in Iowa and gears up for C-USA tournament

The SMU track and field team showcased a strong performance and set records at the two day Iowa State Classic in Ames, Iowa this weekend.

The Mustangs broke school and meet records in sprints, distance and throwing events against a field that included the host team Iowa State as well as Kansas, Missouri, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Auburn among others.

After already being named Conference USA Athlete of the Week twice this year, Simone du Toit had another stellar outing in the shot put event.

Du Toit, who has already qualified for the NCAA Championships, set a meet record with a throw of 17.41m. This impressive score was enough to give her the victory for the event in Iowa.

SMU’s Helena Perez came in fifth in the event with a 14.33m throw.

Sophomore Mary Allenbratt led the way for the Mustangs in the distance events setting a new school record in the one mile run with a time 4:47.70.

This extremely fast speed amongst competition put her in fifth place for the afternoon.

Allenbratt finished nine seconds faster than her time in last year’s event.

Sweden native Klara Bodinson placed thirteenth in the event posting a personal best time with a 4:51.74 run.

Fellow Sweden native Lovisa Lindh placed eighth in the 800-meter run with a 2:10.44 time.

Junior sprinter Amber Evans placed eleventh in the 60 meter dash and set a new school record with a 7.64 qualifying run.

She also placed ninth in the 200-meter dash with a 24.75 run.

In the 600-yard run, junior Lakeisha James bested her personal record with a 1:25.55 time.

SMU will now travel to Houston, Texas on Feb. 25 to compete in the Conference USA Indoor Championships the week of Spring Break.

The Mustangs will then face a big match up against many Texas schools hosted by cross town rival TCU the following week in the TCU invitational.