‘Memphos!’ makes magic

The Ochre House Theater is once again making theater magic, only this time with a magician on the stage – sort of.

“Memphos!” is the newest creation of this one-of-a-kind theater in Exposition Park and tells the story of a vaudeville act as it tries to survive the rise of new forms of entertainment.

It’s a relevant story as arts organizations around the country try to survive the strains of budget cuts and the absurd humor brings the space to life in a way that the Ochre House has never been before.

The usual crew takes the stage, with artistic director Matt Posey playing the tired magician, Elizabeth Evans playing his wife/assistant Gigi Lamour and Kevin Grammer as their faithless manager Lou Castor, who is eager to rush off to Hollywood and take Gigi with him.

Trent Stephenson plays “The Impenetrable Leopold” or Lenny, the young assistant to Memphos, who performs various tricks including heavy lifting while dressed as a pygmy with girl’s underwear on his head.

Mitchell Parrack as Mickey Two Soups, the stage manager really does run the light board and Ross Mackey as Charlie B. Sharp creates the music.

If you’re willing to suspend your disbelief and have a theater experience that demands a reaction, this show is for you.

For more information visit, ochrehousetheater.com.