Men’s golf travels to Augusta, women hosting DAC/SMU Invitational

Courtesy of 12monthsofgolfinvail.blogspot.com
SMU golfer Alexandra Rossi about to tee off at a competition.

SMU golfer Alexandra Rossi about to tee off at a competition. (Courtesy of 12monthsofgolfinvail.blogspot.com)

After an impressive rise, the Mustangs will look to establish their ranking this weekend in a field filled with the nation’s best.

The Mustangs will compete in the Insperity Augusta State Invitational in Augusta, Ga. on Saturday and Sunday at Forest Hills Golf Club.

This will be the last meet before the Conference USA Championship in a couple weeks.

The Mustangs are not looking to establish a strong foundation for the rest of the season. Now is the time to peak, and peaking is what this team seems to be trending towards.

The Mustangs have received great contributions from freshman phenom Bryson Dechambeau as well as senior Mario Clemens.

This course will not be easy but at least for the Mustangs, they are returning to a more traditional golf course rather than the links they were playing earlier in the year.

The other key factor in this tournament is the tough field. That is evident by seven teams being ranked in the top 30 in GolfWeek’s rankings, including fourth-ranked Texas.

The team and individual players scores can be tracked on a regular basis through golfstatresults.com. Hopefully SMU will be able to keep its late season success intact in Augusta.

The SMU women’s team is set to host the DAC/SMU Invitational before it tries to validate its preseason prediction with a Conference USA Championship.

Things will not be easy for the Mustangs as there are six teams in the top 50 participating in this three-day event.

The Mustangs have won three events this year spread out over the course of the schedule.

They have been coming on strong as of late rising all the way up to no. 34 in the latest rankings.

Alexandra Rossi and Melanie White will once again look to pace the team or pick up their second win of the year respectively in the individual category.

Also key to this team’s success has been Jenny Haglund who joins Rossi and White as the players on this team to win Conference USA player of the week awards.

Not only will the team be focused on the performance on alot of their big time players but also on Mehar Atwal.

A freshman from New Dehli, India, Atwal will be making her collegiate debut for the team in the individual category.

SMU is hoping that by not putting her in the team format that will alleviate a little bit of the pressure and hopefully allow her to get her feet wet before stepping next year.

A tough roadblock for the Mustangs, but not one uncommon at this point, will be the continued presence of Oklahoma in the field.

The Sooners have been in multiple events the Mustangs have played in, and have looked impressive in each one.

If there was ever a team the Mustangs were going to have to beat, it’s Oklahoma, but if accomplished would be a huge milestone for them.

Both the men’s and women’s teams wish for a strong conclusion to the regular season in anticipation for their Conference title runs.