Mustangs fall to Tulsa in final game of season, 60-57

Taylor Martin/The Daily Campus
Junior guard Sabrina McKinney carries the ball down court during a game against Tulane Feb. 26. at Moody Coliseum.

Junior guard Sabrina McKinney carries the ball down court during a game against Tulane Feb. 26. at Moody Coliseum. (Taylor Martin/The Daily Campus)

The SMU women’s basketball team suffered a tough loss last night to Tulsa with a final score of 61-57.

Despite fighting hard, the ladies weren’t able to hold on to the game in the final minutes.

Junior Alisha Filmore led the Mustangs with 14 points and two assists, all while shooting 45 percent from the field and 33 percent from the three.

Senior post, Christine Elliot, had one of her best games of the season, putting up eight points and grabbing nine rebounds.

Both are improvements from her season average of 6.9 rebounds and 7.7 points per game.

Sophomore Akil Simpson was strong under the basket, pulling down eight rebounds and putting up six points.

Simpson was consistent from the line, making all four of her free throw attempts.

The Mustangs got into some foul trouble­, racking up 16 total fouls throughout the game. This was double the amount that was called on Tulsa.

As a team, the Mustangs were 36 percent from the field and 20 percent from the arc. This was lower than their season averages of 38 percent and 30.6 percent.

Tulsa was strong offensively. Four of their players finished in the double digits.

Junior guard Taleya Mayberry put up an impressive 19 points, while her sophomore counterpart, Taylor Hooker, added 14 points herself, all while grabbing down eight rebounds.

Mayberry solidified herself as one of the stars of the night, adding five assists and five rebounds to her 19 points.

The Golden Hurricane proved to be a force to reckon with under the basket.

Senior forwards Denise Lewis and Chanice Scott put up 10 and 12 points respectively.

Combined, the two had six boards, five of them being defensive.

As a team, Tulsa was 45 percent from the field, giving them a considerable margin over the Mustangs and their 36 percent field goal completion rate.

The loss puts the Mustangs at 6-10 in the conference and 13-16 in overall play.

The ladies head home this week to prepare for the Conference USA Championships.

The Mustangs will hit the court next week from March 7 to March 10.