Mustangs lose 1-0 in overtime against the Pirates

Spencer J Eggers/ The Daily Campus

(Spencer J Eggers/ The Daily Campus)

The SMU women’s soccer team was defeated 1-0 in overtime by the East Carolina Pirates Sunday afternoon on Westcott Field during the last home game of the Mustangs’ season.

SMU drops down to an overall record of 9-6-1 and a C-USA record of 5-2-1, while the Pirates improve their overall record to 7-6-1 and their C-USA record to 2-5-0.

Both teams struggled to earn a goal during the regular time of the match. The first half had both teams fighting for the ball to keep possession and control of the game. The match remained tied 0-0 and almost equal in stats during halftime, as both teams recorded four shots that could not make it inside the goal.

The second half had more shots coming from both teams. The Mustangs had three occasions in which some of the shots hit the crossbar or the posts on each side. Freshman forward Olivia Elliot had one shot during the match, which was able to hit the cross bar after East Carolina’s goalkeeper Christiane Cordero had her left hand on it.

Sophomore defender Courtney Smith had three shots during the match, one which hit the left post of Cordero’s goal. Smith tried to cross the ball into the box from a free kick, which instead ended up almost going inside the goal. Both teams had five minutes of resting time before going into the first 10-minute overtime half, after tying the match 0-0 in regular time.

With only three second left in the first overtime half, Pirate Amanda Malkiewicz tallied up a goal and earned the victory for East Carolina. Pirate Rachel Wechsler took advantage of a long through ball. As she was closing into the goal and being pressured by an SMU defender, Wechsler passed the ball to the left where Malkiewicz was able to shoot it over a sliding senior goalkeeper Courtney Webb. East Carolina’s bench players stormed into the field to celebrate their victory.

The Pirates outshot the Mustangs 12-11, five of which were on target for East Carolina and four for SMU.

Seniors Katherine Cox, Kaitlyn Eidson and Courtney Webb were honored in their last home game as a Mustang. Their family and friends were present with them in the field after the match, as they were congratulated for their four years of hard work at SMU.

The Mustangs will be back on the road on Oct. 21, as they face off Colorado College.