Ice, Ice Baby heats up campus

Sidney Hollingsworth/The Daily Campus
Program Council set up an ice rink at the flag pole Friday evening, allowing students to skate free on campus.

Program Council set up an ice rink at the flag pole Friday evening, allowing students to skate free on campus. (Sidney Hollingsworth/The Daily Campus)

Students skated and danced around on a plastic polymer rink in front of Dedman College Friday night for Program Council’s Ice, Ice, Baby. As a DJ blared music ranging from Top 40 to — you guessed it—Vanilla Ice, the lively atmosphere heated up a usually dull weekend spot on campus.

In an effort to provide students with fun and unique on-campus entertainment, Program Council fleshed out an idea that had been circulating around the group for years, according to Program Council President Elise McDonald.

The event, which had an overwhelmingly positive student response when it was first announced, was originally on the calendar for December. Postponed due to inclement weather, Ice, Ice, Baby took over the flagpole Friday evening.

Students could rent their skates onsite and warm up with some hot cocoa and cookies while they unwound.

First year Ellen Handa was surprised by the transformation and said she enjoyed the dancing and good music.

With other fun surprises, like free tickets to the newly released film, “The Vow,” students had plenty to celebrate.

Roughly 200 people stopped by throughout the night, according to Event Chair Kevin Hess, who said the turnout would have likely been better on it’s original date, the same week as Celebration of Lights.

And though Friday’s freezing-by-Dallas-standards weather had the potential to pose a threat to the event, the rink started to heat up later in the night as students ditched their skates in favor of a dance party.

Ice skating rinks usually evoke thoughts of Christmas and bone-chilling temperatures, but this Program Council event warmed students up for more fun to come this semester.