College students go coupon crazy

TLC’s reality show “Extreme Couponing” follows everyday people on their journey to get the most bang for their buck.

As it turns out extreme couponing doesn’t only air on TLC network but can be seen by many college students who similarly have made saving money a way of life.

Many students like the luxury of having their clothes dry cleaned, eating out and exploring the city of Dallas.

The use of student promotions and online coupon sites has provided students and businesses with an answer to these tough economic times.

Tessa White, a sophomore at SMU said, “finding places that offer student discounts has become a way of life.”

For years, The Daily Campus has teamed up with nearby restaurants and stores to provide student discounts that can be found in an exclusive coupon book each semester.

These coupons range from 20 percent off at Swiss Dry Cleaners to 20 percent off at Flirt, a local trendy boutique.

These businesses have created relationships with SMU and cater to the school’s community while both keeping students within budget and keeping business thriving.

The places offering student discounts have even become student hangout spots.

Students also look to social media outlets to find more great deals. These “Echo Boomers” look to online discount groups and cell phone “coupon” applications for immediate and accessible coupons and promotions. With the ability to download coupons on smart phones and have “daily” bargains sent via email, students are always prepared to save.

“I downloaded the Scout Mob app on my phone, it gives me great discounts at some of the local places and offers new discounts each day,” SMU sophomore Maggie Connor said.

SMU student Charlotte Calhoun signed up for LivingSocial to get great deals on activities and at restaurants.

“The website allows me to eat places and experience things I typically wouldn’t because it wasn’t in my budget before,” Calhoun said.

Even for SMU students like Samantha Zagar, whose budget does not require extreme couponing “seems to find herself looking for student discounts and satisfied knowing she got the most out of her dollar.”