Mustangs victorious over Mean Green

After racing to a first-place finish at the University of North Texas Mean Green Relays in Denton last month, the women’s swimming and diving team took 11 of 13 events against UNT Friday for a 143-96 win in Joe Perkins Natatorium.

The Mean Green were able to capture first and second place in the 200-yard medley relay, but junior Maroua Mathlouthi put SMU on the board with a time of 10:16.84 in the 1,000-yard freestyle.

Mathlouthi would later hold off three UNT challengers and win the 500-free by nearly a full 10 seconds (5:02.46).

Next, junior Sascha Van den Branden gave the Mustangs a lead they would not relinquish with her win in the 200-yard freestyle (1:53.01).

Freshman Lina Edlund and sophomore Emily Vavourakis placed first and second, respectively, in both the 50- and 100-yard freestyle events.

Edlund swam the 50-free in 24.17 seconds while Vavourakis came in just behind at 24.22. In the 100-free, Edlund won with a time of 52.12, and Vavourakis was again the runner up (52.45).

Senior Devon Callaghan picked up first-place finishes in the 200-yard individual medley (2:05.49) and 200-yard breaststroke (2:21.81).

Junior Audra Egenolf led SMU with her sweep of both the one-meter and three-meter diving events.

She posted 292.88 on the one-meter board before winning with a 321.07 on the three-meter board.

In both events, Egenolf was followed in second- and third-place by senior Britney Yancey and freshman Taylor Anderson.

Next, the Mustangs play in Cougar Classic on Nov. 20-22 at the University of Houston’s Campus Recreation and Wellness Center Natatorium.