Kelly Kraft tops polls

Junior Kelly Kraft is hoping to lead the Mustangs to the NCAA Championships. Kraft was ranked the No. 1 golfer in the nation last week by Golfweek. Photo courtesy of SMU Athletics

After helping the Mustangs win two tournaments in as many weeks, junior Kelly Kraft was ranked as the No. 1 collegiate golfer in the nation, according to the Golfweek/Sagarin Ratings released last Tuesday.

The Conference USA Freshman of the Year two seasons ago, Kraft set a new course record with an 8-under 64 at the Spring Hill Golf Club in Wayzata, Minn. earlier this month. His performance earned him top individual honors, and SMU defeated Arkansas by 10 strokes in the University of Minnesota Gopher Classic, the first tournament of the season.

A week later, Kraft led the Mustangs to a come-from-behind victory over the University of New Mexico at the Adams Cup in Kingston, R.I. He finished in third place and earned his sixth career C-USA Player of the Week honors.

A native of Denton, Texas, Kraft looks more at the potential of the team as a whole than at his own success.

After a 2-0 start to the year, Kraft said, “I see us winning a few more times this season and really playing like a top-ranked team.”

SMU already is a top-ranked team, coming in at No. 12 in the country by Golfweek poll.

“Our team chemistry is really good, and that helps a lot when you’re at tournaments,” he said.

Kraft credits men’s golf head coach Jay Loar with being a strong veteran presence during his college development.

“He’s been around golf for a long time, so he knows what’s going on and he knows what it takes,” he said. “It’s really helped me as far as myself getting better.”

Though Kraft said he worked hard to improve his mental game in tournaments this summer, Trey Peden, his coach for four years at Denton Ryan High School, said mental toughness was one trait which set Kraft apart from his peers.

“He plays with no fear,” Peden said. “He’s mentally strong enough to know he can pull off any shot.”

Kraft played just one junior varsity tournament as a freshman before shooting a 72 in his first varsity competition, according to Peden.

“His progression was pretty quick,” Peden said.

The coach recalls a tournament during Kraft’s freshman year in which he pulled a ball to the left off the tee and landed in an area heavily dense with trees.

“I thought there was no way he would reach the green. But he found a gap, was able to keep it low and landed about 10 feet from the hole,” Peden said, “I don’t think just about any other player could have pulled that off.”

Kraft said he chose to come to SMU because it was close to home and he wanted a good education with a good golf program. With his help, the Mustangs are becoming one of the best teams in the nation.

In an article for Golfweek online, writer Eric Soderstrom said, “The Mustangs [are] at this point in the season probably the hottest team in college golf.”

Following wins over Arkansas and New Mexico, the article quoted Loar on his team’s resiliency and ability to play tough through the final round.

“That’s two weeks in a row that the guys in a middle of a round have just started really trusting each other, got strong and finished it out,” he said. “We’re gelling together with good team chemistry.”

Kraft echoed his coach’s sentiment, as he said the chemistry has helped the team open the year strong after a good finish to last season.

“Last year was kind of a rebuilding year,” he said. “But now we’re playing better, and we want our team to win at NCAAs.”

Last year, SMU finished a close runner-up to University of Central Florida at the C-USA Championships. In mid-May, Kraft joined teammate James Kwon at the NCAA South Central Regional in Stillwater, Okla.

Peden says that, while in high school, Kraft wanted to play college golf and focused hard on his goal.

“His No. 1 priority was on the golf course,” Peden said. “He’s always had a beautiful golf swing, and he’s a very gifted player.”

While Kraft does not downplay his accomplishments, he said he never thought about being ranked No. 1. And he still sees room for improvement in his own game.

“My wedges can always be better inside 100 yards,” he said. “I need to stay on top of stuff like that.”

As for how far he has come in just two years, the hard work Kraft has put in is clearly paying off.

“I played in a lot of bigger summer tournaments,” he said. “I’m playing pretty good, and I’m hoping to make it to the NCAAs this year.

Next up for Kraft and the No. 12 Mustangs is the Jerry Pate National Intercollegiate in Birmingham, Ala. Oct. 12 and 13.

Because SMU did not play last week, Kraft is no longer the No. 1 ranked golfer in the nation. Kraft is currently ranked No. 28 by Golfweek.