SMU runs to Indiana

The SMU cross country team has taken first place in both invitationals it has participated in, and doesn’t plan on letting up as they travel to South Bend, Ind. to tackle the Notre Dame Invitational.

In their first invitational of the season, SMU traveled to TCU and took the TCU Cross Country Season Opener from the Horned Frogs on their home turf. The Mustangs had four runners finish in the top 10, including a first, second and fourth place finish.

SMU competed next in the Ken Garland Invitational, which was hosted by University of North Texas on Sept. 19. Again, the Mustangs ran by the competition, capturing first, second and fourth to beat out second-place Baylor and third-place TCU.

Three main Mustangs have been the spearhead of SMU’s victories: sophomore Kristine Eikrem-Engeset, freshman Sara Sjokvist and freshman Mary Alenbratt. Eikrem-Engeset was the first place winner at TCU, while Sjokvist, 10 seconds behind, took second. Their roles were reversed at UNT, with Sjokvist taking first and Eikrem-Engeset coming in second, just milliseconds behind. Alenbratt has taken fourth place at both invitationals.

SMU faces much stiffer competition in the Notre Dame Invitational than in either competition they’ve been in so far. The Mustangs will compete against teams such as No. 1 Washington, No. 3 Florida State, No. 6 Princeton, No. 12 Providence, No. 13 Arizona State and No. 15 Florida.

However, SMU can take heart in the fact that Baylor is ranked No. 14 and the Mustangs have already beaten the Bears this season.

The Notre Dame Invitational will take place on Oct. 2.