Fried food frenzy

Fried Butter
Fried Butter

Fried Butter

In the days leading up to the Texas State Fair, Texas residents weigh in on what fried foods they can’t wait to try, compared to some options that just sound plain disgusting. (Fried butter, anyone?)

Since 2005, the friendly food fight ranks the best tasting and most creative food entries, ranging from fried ice cream to this year’s best tasting food, deep-fried peaches and cream. Vendors are required to submit new ideas before the summer, and if the voting committee accepts the idea, vendors receive formal invitations to test their idea at the fair. Final contests take place on Opening Day.

Along with the most bizarre fried foods you can imagine, hot dogs, turkey legs, popcorn, cheese fries and every other fair food you can imagine is available.

Proceed with caution. Just because something can be fried doesn’t always mean it should be.

Fried Chocolate BananaOut of all the food I sampled, the chocolate covered fried bananas were by far the best. Three half slices of banana are deep fried, drizzled with a warm chocolate sauce and then topped with whip cream and nuts.

Fried OreoSecond to the bananas were the fried Oreos. There’s nothing better than soft, warm Oreos covered in deep-fried dough. You’re already eating the calories from the cookies, why not pack on the extra pounds with some added grease.

Fried Cookie DoughThe combination of the gooey cookie dough compared to the crispy fried dough presented an excellent combination. Eat this sweet treat early in the day, as you’re sure to fill up as you wander through the Midway.

Fried ButterI don’t care how much melted butter you pour on your popcorn, there is nothing even remotely tasty about fried butter. Imagine scraping the cream out of a cream puff and replacing it with hot, liquid butter. I would be hard-pressed to find someone who could swallow this with a smile on their face.

Fried Cookie Dough

Fried Oreo

Fried Chocolate Banana