Big Tex makes season debut

The Ferris wheel has been a long-standing tradition of the Texas State Fair. NICOLE JACOBSEN/The Daily Campus

“Howdy folks!” has never been said with such a draw as when said by Big Tex at the State Fair of Texas. This year is no different as he welcomes visitors to enjoy the food and festivities that await them.

Every year since 1886, Dallas has held what we now see as the carnival-like event each fall. This year, Fair Park has just as much as before to offer its visitors.

No need to quarrel over what to do first: signs displaying where to get a state fair corn dog will be in every picture you take. If daring enough, try the foot-long corney dog, a task many visitors take on with confidence.

Before getting a season’s worth of fried food and losing 19 out of 20 games for that big stuffed gorilla, be sure to purchase coupons, which are roughly 50 cents per coupon.

The aroma of fried Oreos, alligator and Snickers bars will tell you it’s worth it. For when it comes to fair food, it doesn’t matter what’s beneath the batter: sprinkle a little powdered sugar on whatever that fried concoction is on the plate, and it’s up to standard.

Don’t bother saying you won’t play one of those carnival games, that three-foot stuffed panda is too appealing to resist.

After making your way through the various people calling you to hit the can with three throws of a baseball, the large, spinning contraption catches your eye. The Texas flag stays still in the middle as the “Texas Star” rotates around.

The line for the Ferris wheel is the longest in the fair, even longer than that line in front of Fletcher’s corn dogs, and for good reason. This rotating wheel stands at 212.5 feet, providing a clear view of downtown Dallas. Some riders will tell you they can see Fort Worth when swaying at the top.

After slowly making your way around the wheel, you’ll find mini roller coasters andto take them on after that funnel cake. Some of these rest nicely on cinderblocks, perhaps to provide even more of an exciting ride.

But visitors come for many reasons other than the thrills. For yearly visitor Brenda Wilkins, it’s worth the trip.

“It’s a good day out. There’s a pig show, car show and of course Fletcher’s corney dogs,” she said. “We have all our favorites!”

Walking the opposite direction from the Dickies uniformed Tex, take in the auto show, where Chevrolet, Ford, GMC and Toyota display their vehicles. While most automobiles to jump in are trucks, visitors are lucky enough to be graced with the presence of muscle cars, such as the Chevy Camero and the Dodge Challenger.

Along with the shows the fair has to offer, exhibits are located indoors, which makes for a good excuse for getting a little air conditioning. While curious visitors wander throughout this area, they can see hand crafted belts, hats, and of course, get their teeth whitened – or buy a shower, or a sauna perhaps.

While it may seem that random vendors have taken an opportune chance to get some attention, going and seeing what’s to discover is what the fair is about.

“We just like to go out and explore, but the junk food is still the best. Junk food is good here,” said Wilkins.

Even if you feel the fair is only good for a chance to legitimize eating whatever possible fried, walking the grounds can be another amusement. Small water falls, rock formations and gardens are throughout your walk as part of the State Fair Fall Garden Exhibition.

Nearly 50 companies contribute to making the fair as colorful in the plants as it is in the small roller coasters.

The State Fair of Texas will continue daily through Oct. 18. General admission tickets are $15, and self-parking on State Fair lots is $10. Visit bigtex.com for more details.