Men’s basketball rolls over Louisiana Tech 73-65

The SMU men’s basketball team is starting off the new year with a win after defeating Louisiana Tech 73-65 at Moody Coliseum on Saturday.

During the first half of the match-up SMU took the lead early on and continued to dominate the period. With seven minutes remaining, Robert Nyakundi hit a 3-point bucket to create a 12-point gap (27-15), the Mustangs largest lead of the game.

With the conclusion of the first half SMU remained on top with a score of 28-37.

Returning from the locker room, SMU’s Nyakundi scored the first point of the final half while at the free-throw line.

The Mustangs held LATech until the final minutes of the game, never losing the lead.

Ryan Manuel and Aliaksei Patsevich led the Mustang pack in scoring for the game. Patsevich, a senior out of Belarus, accumulated 11 points while true freshman Manuel racked up 13 points.

SMU was able to run away with the win by shooting 78.6 percent in free throws and 50 percent in the 3-point range.

The Mustang stampede will be on the road for there next game against Ole Miss in Oxford, Miss. Tuesday, Jan. 3. Tip-off is slated for 8 p.m. and the game will be televised on FSN.