Program organizes holiday activities for international students

SMU has a long tradition of providing a widespread array of services for international students. SMU has many organizations and clubs that allow international students to get involved in the SMU community once they arrive in the states.

One of the largest challenges the groups face is finding activities for those international students who are not able to make it home over the winter holiday. This year, Global Connections has created two activities for them to participate in.

The first is a Christmas party on Dec. 16, sponsored by the International Women’s Group. The gathering is primarily for the spouses of international students, and their children, but all are invited and welcome to come along. The reason for the gathering is to celebrate the season, but also for international women to gather together and share their feelings about the difficulties and struggles of living in an entirely new culture.

The second group activity planned is a caroling trip. Traditionally, the international students start at University Blvd. and sing carols all the way to President Turner’s house.

“In past years, [President Turner] has always been very gracious when we stop by his house during the break,” said Global Connections undergraduate president Wilfred Job. “It’s a very nice thing, and there’s never a better time to meet him than over the holidays.

“He is so supportive of Global Connections through out the year, singing carols and sharing in the spirit is the student’s way of saying ‘thanks’ to President Turner.”

Throughout the year, international students receive support from the International Office, which assists and advises international students and visiting scholars with matters concerning regulations of the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service and the U.S. State Department. The office provides international students and visiting scholars with the necessary visa documents, helps students change status, transfer, extend programs and obtain employment authorization.

Assistance is also provided for orientation and acculturation through various programs and activities sponsored by the Global Connections, International Friendship Program, International Women’s Group and various campus associations.