SMU men’s golf claims victory amongst top ranked teams

The SMU men’s golf team claimed victory at the San Diego Intercollegiate over spring break, finishing ahead of ranked teams such as No. 6 San Diego State University and No. 19 San Diego University.

The Mustangs carded a 13-over 1,093 in the play-six, count-five event which forced a card off with UTA, who tied SMU at 1,093. Each team’s No. 6 player’s third-round card was put head-to-head, and red shirt junior Aaron Stewart posted a 73 which edged Brad Lyle’s 77, giving SMU the nod.

SMU had a solid showing from senior Kelly Kraft who individually placed second overall at one under (215). A final round of 76, his worst of the day, doomed any chance Kraft had at winning the individual championship. Later in the week, Kraft was named Conference USA Golfer of the Week for the second time this season.

Stewart finished just behind his teammate, earning a third place tie after finishing even at 216. SMU juniors Matt Schovee and Marc Sambol finished in the top 20, tying for 11th and 20th, respectively.

Also competing for the Ponies were juniors Max Buckley and Harry Higgs who finished 26th and 57th, respectively.

SMU will return to the course Monday in Tucson, Arizona as they take part in the NIT Intercollegiate.