Innovation and tradition in 2005

OP/ED

At the invitation of The Daily Campus, I am pleased tooffer this commentary to new and returning students. Otheradministrators will be invited to contribute columns throughout theyear, and I appreciate this effort to enable student readers tohear their points of view.

First, to the Class of 2008 and all other new students, welcometo SMU! And to returning students, welcome back! The student bodynow numbers more than 11,000 undergraduate, graduate andprofessional school students. We are proud of the diverse talentsand backgrounds you bring to us. Faculty and staff look forward tohelping you develop your interests and discover talents previouslyuntapped. Whether you are a first-year student, a seasoned senior,or a highly focused graduate student, we hope that you utilize themany resources available to you at SMU.

Our first-year students have helped revive a tradition thisyear. You are the first SMU class in several years to take part ina pre-semester reading assignment, followed by group discussionswith faculty during Week of Welcome. The goal was to introduce youto the critical reflection that will form the basis of your SMUeducation, no matter what your major. Faculty who led thosediscussions tell me that they were engaging and provocative, justas they had hoped.

As you may know or are just learning, SMU has several newfacilities to enrich academic and student life. Three ongoingprojects are still creating some dust on campus but also promise tobe great enhancements. The expansion and renovation of the DedmanCenter for Lifetime Sports is underway near Gerald J. Ford Stadium.Completion of the new construction is expected by Aug. 2005.Renovation of the current Center space will then begin, withcompletion in summer 2006. The Collins Executive Education Centeris projected for completion in spring 2005, enabling the Cox Schoolof Business to hold a grand opening before May Commencement.

On the east side of campus, Dyer Street will be made into a culde sac with sites for the Lambda Chi house, the SAE house, a thirdfraternity house, to be named later and 120 parking spaces. Afterthat phase is completed this October, construction will begin onhouses for Lambda Chi and SAE. When these houses are constructedand occupied next year, a new parking garage will be built at thecurrent site of Letterman Hall and the previous sites of the SAEand Lambda Chi houses. The construction is part of SMU’sCentennial Master Plan to guide campus development to meet theneeds of current and future students.

Students at SMU today are fortunate to be part of a learningcommunity during Presidential Election year, always a source ofexcitement. One of the defining roles of a university is to providea place for open discussion and debate. As a result, SMU will offermany presentations, programs and opportunities for you to discusselection issues with members of the campus community and visitingspeakers. In the heat of a tight election race, we must all ensurethat we treat those with differing opinions in a civil mannerbefitting the academy.

Spirited activities will take part on the playing field as well,as Mustang football, soccer, and volleyball student-athletes playtheir first competitions in the near future. They and fellowstudents in productions of the Meadows School of the Arts and otherstudent-led activities hope you will support their efforts withyour attendance.

Nevertheless, your main purpose is to benefit from SMU’sacademic opportunities and to earn the degree that symbolizesmastery of your studies. Keep those priorities well in mind, remainsafety-conscious as you enjoy the attractions of a major city andseek out the many resources SMU offers for guidance. We aredelighted to have you on campus for the 90th year of classes atSMU. 

R. Gerald Turner is the President of Southern MethodistUniversity.